What to see in Rostov on Don

Your Guide

Bolshaya Sadovaya Street is the central street of Rostov-on-Don and one of the most beautiful streets of the city. Starting from the train station, it crosses the entire historical center of the city. Many of Rostov-on-Don’s sights are located on Bolshaya Sadovaya: the Chernova House, the City House, the Musical Theater, as well as major administrative institutions, such as the City Duma building. Walking along the street, one can find also extraordinary Rostov monuments – the sculpture “The Flower Girl” and the “Merchant-Chapman with the Cat”, possessing a special urban flavor. One of the sections of the street from Budyonnovsky to Voroshilovsky Avenue among locals is called the “Rostov Broadway” – each building here bore the name of its owner.

Bolshaya Sadovaya street

Surb Khach Church

Surb Khach Church – Armenian Church of the Holy Cross, is considered the oldest building in Rostov and the only surviving part of the ancient Armenian monastery of Surb Khach (the cultural center of the entire Armenian colony on the Don). Since then, he remains the most revered shrine of Armenians from all over Russia. The tower of the temple was the first of the Russian churches topped with a golden cross. The cathedral was built by Armenians in memory of his former place of residence – the Crimea. Khachkar of the 4th century was considered one of the main shrines – a huge stone with a cross carved on it, which was brought from Armenia and gave the name to the temple. Now the building is again used for worship.

The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary – the cathedral of the Rostov and Novocherkassk dioceses, is a copy of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow. The cathedral was built between 1860 and 1885. The building, designed by KA Tona, has the shape of a cross. The church was built in the Russian-Byzantine style, with five domes. The temple was destroyed during the Second World War and during the Soviet regime, but in the 80s. for the 1000th anniversary of the baptism of Russia was restored. Address: Rostov-on-Don, st. Stanislavsky, 58.

Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin

Monument to the water pipe

The monument to the water pipe appeared in Rostov in 2007. The composition is a woman who draws water from a street column. The monument is made of bronze by Sergei Oleshnya and Anatoly Dementyev. On the basis of the monument, the date of foundation of the Russian water supply system is beaten out – 1865. The image of a woman with a bucket was not chosen by chance – at that time, providing a family with water was an entirely female responsibility. The appearance of a woman corresponds to the reality of that time.

The Chernova House is one of the most beautiful buildings in Rostov-on-Don. It was built in 1899 for the famous actress of the time, Margarita Chernova, and was a gift from a merchant in love with her from the famous Rostov family of Paramonovs. The building was badly damaged after the Second World War, but in the 40s. was restored. It was here that Chaliapin sang, the troupe of Yuri Zavadsky performed and recited his poems to Gumilyov. The architecture and interiors of the building are striking in their beauty and grace, and at the time of construction the building was considered one of the most magnificent eclectic buildings in Rostov at that time. Address: corner of Khalturinsky per. and Bolshaya Sadovaya.

The Chernova House